Clogged drain lines may appear as minor difficulties, but they can quickly evolve into severe issues. A clogged drain can result in a slow drainage system, corrosion, floods, and, in extreme cases, sewage backup and expensive repairs. They can be unpleasant, frustrating, and challenging to deal with, but you can take steps to prevent or slow their creation.
How to Prevent Clogged Drain Lines
Preventing clogged drain lines before they occur will help ensure that your plumbing devices are available when you need them. Contact experts if you need sewer line repair in Norwalk, CA. Here are several quick and easy best practices to remember to prevent drain lines from clogging.
- One of the most common causes of clogged drains is small particles. Using a drain filter is a simple, but effective technique to keep drains clear. This device will catch any small things, like food, dirt, or hair, and it will make cleaning easier by capturing these materials before they enter your drain.
- There are also several filters that you can use in your shower. A clogged shower drain can be caused by hair, soap scum, and grime. Placing a filter in the shower will help prevent this. You may reduce the likelihood of clogging your drains by using this easy and inexpensive solution.
- Clean the drain filters in your bathroom sink and tub regularly. Hair, soap scum, and other dirt can accumulate on the filters, slowing drainage or clogging tub drains completely.
- Never pour grease, oils, coffee grounds, or eggshells down the drain. They will cover the interior of your pipes and collect other debris that is heading down the drain and causing a clog. Scrape off plates, throw away leftover foods, and put grease and grinds into disposable containers before throwing them away rather than flushing them.
- Food scraps should be disposed of in compost bins or the garbage. Use your garbage disposal only to clear up buildup, not as a waste disposal device.
- To keep your laundry from backing up and overflowing, use a lint catcher or filter in the washing machine.
- It is essential to be careful about what you flush down the toilet to avoid clogging. Never flush anything other than toilet paper down a toilet. Excess paper can clog the drain line and the entire sewage system.
- Regular preventive drain cleaning in La Mirada, CA, also helps. Even if your drains are not clogged, flushing them with baking soda and vinegar a couple of times a year will help keep buildup to a minimum and ensure your drainage continues to drain efficiently.
How to Clear Your Clogged Drain Lines:
By scheduling drain cleaning with Power Pro Plumbing Heating & Air, a professional plumbing company in Long Beach, CA, you ensure that your pipes remain clear throughout the year, lowering the likelihood of a clog or pipe damage. Here are a few steps to clean your clogged drain lines:
- Run some hot water down your drain: Despite your best attempts, you may still have debris in your kitchen sink. That is understandable because some wastes are too greasy and small. When these objects fall into your sink, they might build up.
Pouring boiling water down the drain will help decrease the damage caused by these things. Boiling water will dissolve the oil and debris that accumulates inside your kitchen drain. This solution is unlikely to solve the problem permanently, but it may release any little things that have become stuck.
- Run cold water while your garbage disposal is running: This is the best step to follow every time you turn on your garbage disposal to help prevent clogs and ensure that your food is quickly flushed down the drain. After you’ve finished, let the cold water run for a minute or so to help remove any particles that may have remained.
- Use a plunger: The most common equipment for clearing clogged drains is a plunger. Cup-style plungers are the most effective. Because the plunger tool operates on the pressure concept, you’ll need some extra water in the sinks or toilet.
If there is already water in the sink or toilet trap, exert force with the plunger cup. However, if water is not there, you must add some extra water and apply pressure to the water with the plunger cup. Repeat the procedure till the water begins to drain.
- Use a drain snake: Clogs sometimes require a plumber’s snake to clear the blockage. A drain snake, often known as a plumber’s snake, is an extendable, flexible drilling instrument available at hardware stores. When the snake comes into contact with a blockage, twist the handle to break the debris and draw it out of the drain line.
- Use a wire hanger: A wire hanger, a more primitive but effective approach, can function similarly to a snake. Unwrap the hanger wire and insert the hook into the drain. Move slightly within the pipe to hook the clog and drag it out of the drain opening.
- Remove and clean the drain trap: If none of the other methods work, you can try removing the drain trap. Clogs are frequently formed in the drain trap, also known as a U-pipe, located underneath the sink beneath the garbage disposal.
Clear the space and set a bucket beneath the U-pipe to collect runoff. Loosen the screws on either side of the pipe with a plumber’s wrench while holding it stable with the other hand. Clean around the connection points and pour hot water through the drain trap to remove any extra dirt and confirm it is clean. Reassemble the drain trap by tightening the nuts back on after you’ve finished cleaning the drain lines.
While routine maintenance can help prevent clogs to a certain extent, professional drain cleaning in Cerritos, CA, is sometimes the best method to keep your drains in good condition. If your shower drain continues to clog, it could be a symptom of a blockage in your main sewer line, which can cause severe damage to your home and drainage system if left ignored.
When you need an emergency plumber in Gardena, CA, you can rely on Power Pro Plumbing Heating & Air to offer you prompt and professional service. Contact our experts at (833) 212-2124 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule your drain cleaning appointment with us.